On
this date Brown assembles an amazing quartet of similarly gifted musicians of
which none need any introduction. This album eluded US sales by being released
in Japan. Although a CD was released later, it still remains hard to obtain.
The music presented is a well performed mixture of Brown, Waldron, Heyman,
Sour, Eyton & Green Mingus and Monk compositions. Apart from Brown’s own
tunes all players place their mark to great effect and cohesion to the other
familiarised pieces. If you were to procure this album for just one track my
choice would be the beautifully executed title track “Soul Eyes” {Mal Waldron}.
Brown’s tone and deliverance is impeccable and alongside Barron’s clean piano
lines the piece is a joy right throughout. In having praised the main soloists
it would be criminal not to shower additional accolades on the rhythm section.
McBee manages to really lock together these sets and of course without Jones’
driving percussive force there would have been ample opportunity for the tunes,
especially Mingus’ and Monk’s to be trivialised. Overall this album is a must
have if you are a Marion Brown aficionado or a newcomer to Modern-Avant-Garde
Jazz.
Baystate
Records, RVJ-6036, 1979
Recorded
14th & 15th November, 1978 at Sound Ideas Studios,
New York City
Personnel:
Marion
Brown - Alto Saxophone
Kenny
Barron - Piano
Cecil
McBee - Bass
Philly
Joe Jones - Drums
Track
Listing:
A1.
Sunshine Road {Marion Brown} (9:13)
A2.
Soul Eyes {Mal Waldron} (10:15)
A3.
Body And Soul {Heyman, Sour, Eyton, Green} (7:14)
B1.
Afrisa {Marion Brown} (5:18)
B2.
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat {Charles Mingus} (8:40)
B3.
Blue Monk {Thelonious Monk} (11:25)
Credits:
Producer
- Yoshio Ozawa
Co-Producer
- Fumimaru Kawashima
Recording
& Mixing Engineer - Jim McCurdy
Assistant
Engineer - Kathy Dennis
Mastering
Engineer - Tohru Kotetsu
Photography
- Shingo Satoh
Design - Katsuhiko Iida

Thanks for this, Chris. Mr. Brown was always one of my heroes!
ReplyDeleteI thought I already had everything by Mr. Brown from this period...obviously I was wrong!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great find for me, Chris...thank you so much for sharing it.
thank you very much, Chris
ReplyDeleteI shouldn't be surprised to see another MB album appear that I wasn't even aware of... but I am. Always had a soft spot for this guy, thanks a lot!
ReplyDeleteSituation remedied. He didn't do much of anything on major labels, did he?
ReplyDeletehttp://discog.piezoelektric.org/marionbrown/releases.html
Great Line-up ! Great musical opportunity !!
ReplyDeleteOne more thanks to you, Chris.
Very fine listen Chris! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteExcellent selection! I enjoy all of MB's stuff from this period that I've heard. Thank you for sharing this!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks, Chris! Awesome album!
ReplyDeleteLove Marion -Beautiful thank you!
ReplyDeleteI'm reading Always in Trouble: An Oral History of ESP-Disk by Jason Weiss, with this exchange with Marion Brown from 2008 or 2009:
ReplyDeleteQ: A lot of people have said that your ESP records are among your best. Do you have any personal favorites?
Brown: Afternoon of a Georgia Faun [1970] for ECM. And Soul Eyes [1978] for Japanese Victor -- Philly Joe Jones made me play my horn in a way I'd never dreamed I could do it. He was something else; he threatened to kill me if I messed up the music. When the gig was over, he came over to my booth with a smile and said, "Young man, I knew you had it in you. It just took me to bring it out." I said, "But you scared me." He said, "I was serious, I would have killed you if you messed it up." (Weiss, 149)
Marion Brown - Soul Eyes {FLAC} (1978)
ReplyDelete[297.34MB]
https://1fichier.com/?mre4k0esrgv6owuk1f6y
Marion Brown - Soul Eyes {FLAC} (1978) Side A
[150.79MB]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/es8v6tscheh178x/MB-78-SE-SA.rar
Marion Brown - Soul Eyes {FLAC} (1978) Side B
[146.54MB]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3v3bbkifrd3xo5b/MB-78-SE-SB.rar
Thanks very much Chris!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks!!!
ReplyDelete