Friday, November 7, 2025

Stanley Turrentine - If I Could (1993)

This session from tenor-saxophonist Stanley Turrentine often sounds like a CTI recording from the 1970s although Creed Taylor had nothing to do with it. Backed by Don Sebesky's arrangements and assisted by a strong rhythm section and Hubert Laws's flute, Turrentine's solos are stronger than the melodies and he generally overcomes the unimaginative use of strings on the ballads. Mr. T. is in fine form and he makes the most of each selection (particularly on the two blues "June Bug" and "A Luta Continua") while Laws comes across much more creative than he does on most of his own recordings. Recommended. ~ by Scott Yanow, AMG. 

"If I Could" is a 1993 album by Stanley Turrentine that is a strong and satisfying listen, though some critics note that the arrangements, particularly the strings, can be unimaginative. It is recommended for fans of the saxophonist who want to explore his work beyond his earlier Blue Note period. The album is described as having a 1970s CTI sound and features Turrentine's solos as a highlight. AI Overview. 

MusicMasters Jazz, 01612-65103-2, 1993
Recorded 10th-12th May, 1983 (#1,2,4,5,7) at Sound On Sound Recording Studios, New York City
13th May, 1993 (#3,6,8) at National Recording Studio, New York City 

Musicians:
Stanley Turrentine - Tenor Sax
Hubert Laws - Flute, Piccolo
Sir Roland Hanna - Piano
Ron Carter - Bass
Grady Tate - Drums
Gloria Agostini - Harp
Vincent Leroy Evans - Kalimba (#7)
Steve Kroon - Percussion
Matthew Raimondi - Strings, Concert Master
Don Sebesky - Arranger, Conductor 

Tracks:
1. June Bug {Tommy Turrentine} (7:56)
2. Caravan {Duke Ellington, Juan Tizol, Irving Mills} (15:23)
3. I Remember Bill {Don Sebesky} (6:19)
4. The Avenue {Charles Fambrough} (4:04)
5. Marvin's Song {Tommy Turrentine} (6:15)
6. Maybe September {Percy Faith, Jay Livingston, Ray Evans} (3:35)
7. A Luta Continua {Vincent Leroy Evans} (6:29)
8. If I Could {Pat Metheny} (4:46) 

Total Time: 54:51 

Credits:
Producer, Director, Liner Notes - Don Sebesky
Engineer - Jimmy Douglas
Cover Photo - Rex Miller
Design - Kristen Stephen

LINK

The Avenue

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with the more benevolent side of the review about this album by Scott Yanow, it sounds good and it feels good. Great arrangements and marvellous line up for a great listen, H. Laws, R. Hanna et all. Everyone got a nice mastery spot here and there, (Ron Carter slightly drops the beat at 6:04 of June Bug, but I love him anyway) and Mr. Turrentine has his untouched magic of course.
    About the strings, I'm still trying to figure out the meaning of "unimaginative" related to this context, the string charts are just great. Don Sebesky is the man for this kind of ballads.
    I only wish I could write string charts half this good.
    Thank you Chris, really thank you.

    ReplyDelete