Umm... I really am kind of baffled by this one, how did I not know that I had this and where the hell did it come from? I am a BIG fan of this particular band and the idea that I have one that has missed attention in the recent wave of live Woody Shaw recordings being both issued or widely circulated seems, well... almost inconceivable! I have looked high and low and compared against every set list I could see for 1979 and this does not match anything that I see. It seems unlikely, however, that it would be 1979, this lineup suggests 1977. The text document in the file lists Clint Houston on bass and Onaje Alan Gumbs on piano - my ears tell me that is not true in either case and there is no reason to assume it is not the normal band with Stafford James and Larry Willis. It is a radio broadcast from a Seattle jazz club, Parnell's... James is a little too prominent in the mix, but your ears adjust quickly:
The best part for me is that we get one more small scrap of Carter Jefferson to add to the precious little around! I have not done any editing to this so it has some warts.

https://www16.zippyshare.com/v/leqTW2Bd/file.html
ReplyDeleteMuchas gracias. Soy fan declarado de Woody.
ReplyDeletethanks again i am in the seattle area
ReplyDeleteI was lucky enough to see this group @ The Jazz Showcase/Chicago in November '79. I was visiting friends and they had been showing me around, 2nd City, Rush St, etc. So I was given a night and asked to pick a jazz show I'd like to see. Looking through the paper, I saw Woody Shaw listed. I only picked him because he had appeared on so many albums I liked. I had no idea how good his then current band was. I've never recovered. Looking forward to this…
ReplyDeleteThis is great!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot!