
Griffin moved to Europe in the early 60s, eventually settling in France and enjoying a successful and contented (according to an interview) life there until his death in 2008. This album was one of three recorded by the UK Black Lion company over two nights at the Jazzhus in Copenhagen in 1967. These recordings are typical of Griffin: a mix of blistering high speed attack, inventive and always coherent and some beautiful ballad playing. Technically he had everything, he seemed to be incapable of playing badly and every recording he made is worth seeking out. This is from an Italian LP reissue but I imagine these tracks have found their way to CD somewhere!
01 - Rhythm-A-Ing02 - Old Folks
03 - Wee
04 - You Leave Me Breathless
05 - Leave Me Alone Blues
Johnny Griffin (ts) Kenny Drew (p) Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen (b) Albert Heath (d)
Copenhagen, Denmark, March 30 & 31, 1967
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThank you Grumpy! Johnny Griffin always great!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my all time favorite albums.
ReplyDeleteI converted my LP to CD, but I'd already worn out the grooves.
This will be an upgrade.
Thanks
Johnny Griffin was dynamite! Right at the start of the program he fearlessly lets rip over the difficult tempos of Rhythm-A-Ning and there's no holding him back! Thanks for this Mr. Grumpy - I had a messy mp3 192 rip and this is a great upgrade. There's another LP from the same date in Copenhagen, called "A Night In Tunisia". I have a 320 mp3 rip if anyone is interested.
ReplyDeleteI have A Night in Tunisia ripped and ready to post at Buddy Bolden's in the very near future, in flac of course.
ReplyDeleteThnx grumpy - I first heard the title tune on Opus de Jazz, the Savoy release with Bags and Frank Wess. It's not a number that's in everyone's book. I have a special weakness for Jackson's releases on Savoy, even though they all short-change you on playing time, I'm not familiar with this session.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much grumpy, I left this lp and lost,can not wait to hear it again, thanks. Ramón.
ReplyDeleteI have this on LP too and was pressed with a lot of noises. I listened to it so many times that I memorized some of them besides the music. Now it´s time to forget the noise!
ReplyDeleteThe solo in "You leave me breathless" is amazing!
NEW LINK:
ReplyDeletehttps://1fichier.com/?8nqp02919f
My LP vinyl>flac + scans
Great to get the Little Giant. I love his sound
ReplyDeleteJ.G. DOES *NOT* leave me CLASPless...SOOO....CLASP!!
ReplyDeleteMuchas gracias por este archivo. He disfrutado mucho de este lp desde hace años.
ReplyDeleteSaludos.
Many Thanks
ReplyDeleteMany thanks.
ReplyDelete