Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Ray Bryant - Golden Earrings (1988) [vinyl>flac]

Pianist Ray Bryant's records of the 1980's are consistently enjoyable but sometimes the repertoire could be fresher. Virtually every song on this EmArcy release was recorded earlier by Bryant except possibly "I'm A Fool To Want You." Bryant, bassist Rufus Reid and drummer Freddie Waits explore such numbers as "'Round Midnight," "Misty," Duke Ellington's "What Am I Here For" and Bryant's "Lullabye," but the lack of surprises makes this a rather predictable effort. ~ Scott Yanow, AMG.

EmArcy/Mercury Records, 836 368-1, 1988
Recorded 23rd, 24th January & 26th June, 1988 Power Station, New York, N.Y.

Musicians:
Ray Bryant - Piano
Rufus Reid - Bass
Freddie Waits - Drums

Tracks:
A1. Golden Earrings {Jay Livingston, Ray Evans, Victor Young} (7:18)
A2. I'm A Fool To Want You {Frank Sinatra, Jack Wolf, Joel Herron} (5:32)
A3. 'Round Midnight {Bernie Hanighen, Cootie Williams, Thelonious Monk} (8:03)
A4. I Remember Clifford {Benny Golson} (5:40)
B1. Speak Low {Kurt Weill, Ogden Nash} (8:51)
B2. Misty {Erroll Garner} (6:15)
B3. What Am I Here For {Duke Ellington} (8:20)
B4. Lullabye {Ray Bryant} (2:53)

Credits:
Producer - Kiyoshi Koyama
Recording Engineer - Tom Lazarus
Design - Marlyn Rennie-Bryant
Photography - Daniels & Glionna
Liner Notes - Alain Gerber

4 comments: