Friday, January 6, 2017

Gene Ammons In Sweden

This is a re-up for Malaspina, originally posted at the "old" Crypt in 2012.

I hope everybody will have a look through our archive of Ammons - uploaded by our very own Chris!! http://kccryptredux.blogspot.ca/search/label/Gene%20Ammons

I am not a huge Ammons fan.  What I mean by that is, he's not an artist whom I have explored deeply.  I have several key sides like Boss Tenor and Happy Blues, but so do most self respecting jazz fans.

This LP takes us a bit deeper, of course because it's live, but also due to a certain charm.  We get a nice dose of Jugs on the mic, introducing songs and interacting with the crowd.  But it's his playing, well actually the whole band's playing, which grabs me unlike many of his other sides.  "Je ne sais quoi..."

The group is really relaxed and give each other all kinds of space.  The vibe really comes through as these guys stretch out on the uptempo numbers.  That would be reserved for side one, side two brings in the balladry and things get down right sublime.  Horace Parlan shows his gifts again and again, he really is a joy to listen to.  As for Ammons, he seems to know exactly what to bring...and how to bring it!  Overall we get a nice dose of his bag of tricks.

ENJA released this in 1981, but the date took place on July 14th, 1973.  There is almost a bootleg feel to this LP, both in presentation on the sleeve and in sound quality.  Sure, it's no Van Gelder, but far from unenjoyable.  I tend to over obsess about audio quality and I have no issues with this side.  It was released as part of a "two-fer", along with a Ben Webster live date, on CD but is OOP.

This album is a minty ENJA stereo LP, ripped at 24/44.1 wav and dithered to 16/44.1 FLAC.  It should be noted that there are infact 5 tracks on this album, but you are only receiving 4.  Polka Dots And Moonbeams has a seamless segueway into Lover Man, so I merged the two tracks and left them intact.  Taking liberties yes, but once you hear it I think you'll understand why.  A great way to end a gorgeous weekend, but it's always sunny at the Crypt no?  Enjoy!!

ENJA 3093
Produced by Inge Dahl
Recorded and Mixed by Berndt Berndtson
Recorded live at the Ahus Jazz Fest on July 14th, 1973 in Sweden

Gene Ammons (ts);  Horace Parlan (p);  Red Mitchell (b);  Ed Jones (d)

25 comments:

  1. https://mega.nz/#!0gYxGKLD!qfd0Tdu9mF0cxhGW9MOolE_Y-RIbW08hJX-pwNNWqF8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks poppachubby.I have been getting into Ammons lately.A good surprise this morning.Very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowza! Mahalo Pops! Great one indeed. I just "UPPED" my Mega account to 200 gig, so plenty of room for shares. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am an Ammons fan, and i missed this the first time... thank you for the music and the re-up, Poppa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the man! Don't know how I missed this back on the old Crypt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanx, Poppa!! I'm like Grumpy; I don't know how I missed this way back!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...just marvelous poppa. Great rip and sound. Thank you very much. By the way, I think you can see by the response to your last two posts you and your rips have been sorely missed. Now, get off your --- and get some more of these fabulous rips for us :-) All kidding aside, I'm very appreciative of those that care about their vinyl the way you do!! Again, thank you and hoping for more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha... thanks deGallo. A good laugh to start my day. I will try harder in 2017. For anybody who deosn't know, I have 3 young kids aside from working full time and being a homeowner. I find when I do have spare time I just want to veg out. I miss sharing music, so I will put in the effort. Thanks again deGallo...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Poppachubby. I'm a latecomer to Gene Ammons myself - I actually found out about him thanks to this blog! And this one I didn't have yet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No problem Lou, but the archive is really a credit to Chris. I hope everybody will look through and check out the fantastic albums Chris has posted over the years - quite a bit of Ammons!! http://kccryptredux.blogspot.ca/search/label/Gene%20Ammons

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks poppachubby, new to me..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to Chris then! I know I've taken a lot of Gene Ammons here, but I'll check it out and see if I may have missed any. Thanks again, to the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thnx poppa, I drove right by this the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks brother Poppa C !
    Good to see you posting here and coping with the chaos of modern life ...Maybe you can add some of your findings at 'Chitlins' too
    Love to you and yours as always - Gus x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seems I'm in good company. I missed this the first time around. Thanks for carving out time from your hectic schedule to spread the joy, poppa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the re-up poppa!
    Friday is shaping up well music wise, I gotta say.

    ReplyDelete
  17. MANY THANKS POPPA AND CHRIS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you very much! Looks like a rare Ammons release.

    ReplyDelete