Hip
early work from Carmen McCrae - with jazzy arrangements by Fred Katz,
featuring mostly west coast players running through some off-kilter
backings that give Carmen a different sound than usual. The album's
definitely got the "cool" in the title, but Carmen's
sophisticated phrasing of the songs brings a lot of warmth to the
tracks - in a kind of counterpoint that works really well with the
music. Titles include "I Remember Clifford", "What's
New", "Weak For The Man", "A Shoulder To Cry On",
"Any Old Time", "Without A Word Of Warning", and
"The Night We Called It A Day". ©
Dusty Groove, Inc.
Decca
Records, DL 8738, 1958
Recorded
1957
Personnel:
Carmen
McRae - Vocals
Pete
Candoli - Trumpet (#A6)
Ray
Lion - Trumpet (#A6)
Milt
Bernhart - Trombone (#A6)
Bob
Enevoldsen - Trombone (#A6)
Tommy
Johnson - Tuba (#A6)
Buddy
Collette - Flute, Alto Saxophone (#A2,A4,B4,B6)
George
W. Smith - Clarinet (#A1,A2,A4,B1,B3,B4,B6)
Justin
Gordon - Bass Clarinet (#A1,A2,A4,B1,B3,B4,B6)
Mahlon
Clark - Bass Clarinet (#A1,B1,B3)
Bill
Green - Flute (#A1,B1,B3)
Harry
Klee - Flute [Solo] (#A1,B1,B3)
Warren
Webb - Oboe (#A2,A4,B4,B6)
Larry
Bunker - Vibraphone (#A3,A5,B2,B5), Drums (#A6)
Frank
Emilio Flynn - Vibraphone, Marimba (#A3,A5,B2,B5)
John
T. Williams - Piano (#A3,A5,B2,B5)
Joe
Marino - Piano (#A2,A4,B4,B6), Celeste (#A3,A5,B2,B5)
Calvin
Jackson - Piano (#A6)
Joseph
R. Gibbons - Guitar (#A2,A4,B4,B6)
Billy
Bean - Guitar (#A6)
Fred
Katz - Cello (#B5)
Ike
Isaacs - Bass (#A1-A5,B1-B6)
Red
Mitchell - Bass (#A6)
Specs
Wright - Drums (#A1-A5,B1-B6)
Tracks:
A1.
All The Things You Are {Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II} (2:25)
A2.
A Shoulder To Cry On {Chuck Darwin, Paulette Girard} (3:52)
A3.
Any Old Time {Artie Shaw} (3:09)
A4.
Weak For The Man {Jeanne Burns} (4:08)
A5.
What's New {Bob Haggart, Johnny Burke} (2:29)
A6.
I Get A Kick Out Of You {Cole Porter} (2:14)
B1.
[What Can I Say] After I Say {Walter Donaldson, Abe Lyman} (1:46)
B2.
Without A Word Of Warning (Mack Gordon, Harry Revel} (3:19)
B3.
You Are Mine {Frank Loesser} (3:26)
B4.
If I Were A Bell {Ted Snyder, Sam Lewis, Joe Young} (1:54)
B5.
The Night We Called It A Day {Matt Dennis, Tom Adair} (4:28)
B6.
I Remember Clifford {Benny Golson, Jon Hendricks} (3:00)
Orchestra
Director, Arranger - Fred Katz
Liner
Notes - Burt Korall

Carmen McRae - Carmen For Cool Ones (1957)
ReplyDelete[224.2MB]
https://mega.nz/#!qdUACBaa!YDlJc7WLHMPWDuJVUOxylV4ifWr13qwtl9yn-hKMxCw
Many thanks. Looking forward to hearing.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to listen.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks.
Very cool! Thank you Chris!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Chris.
ReplyDeleteThank you many times for much music.
ReplyDeletemany thanks for this,
ReplyDeleteBob
Thank you. I've only recently come to appreciate Carmen's genius.
ReplyDeleteI spoke too soon. Any chance of a re-up? Thanks again.
ReplyDelete