Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Count Basie & His Atomic Band - Complete Live at the Crescendo 1958

While I prefer to post LP rips here, this was just too good not to share.

 "EU-only five CD set. This superb collection compiles all existing live recordings made by the Atomic Band at the Crescendo Club, in Hollywood, in the summer of 1958, for the first time ever on a single edition. The sound quality is excellent throughout the set. Count Basie's career was revived in late 1957 thanks to the success of the Neal Hefti-arranged LP Atomic Basie, which became one of his biggest hits. The orchestra was filled with stars, and Joe Williams' vocals were heard to great effect supported by Hefti's excellent scores and the superb quality of the band. This long unavailable material includes amazing extended live versions of many of the perennial Hefti arrangements, plus a variety of songs that formed part of the orchestra's repertoire at the time, and Sammy Davis Jr. As a guest star singing with the band on Ray Charles' "Hallelujah, I Love Her So". As a bonus, we have added the soundtrack from a complete 17-minute TV show featuring the same band shortly before it started the Crescendo engagement. Our comprehensive booklet contains detailed information, as well as a rare Count Basie interview published in Down Beat during the band's stay at the Crescendo."

32 comments:

  1. https://mega.nz/#!3QQyCaiC!q2MioLJZA4a1LD5h5K9x8V7AgQSiJFiH_lHJ6gW3Q9s

    https://mega.nz/#!jVhFSRpA!uaR7gjBknYM6rPvglFz25j8KdXrkQC8Mo05E0qlR1-4

    https://mega.nz/#!rZ4VEazA!l6iEWbKex9OgykQ27mJkJp2HIpOEoaMW1UyIjjfQU7w

    https://mega.nz/#!uIgx0ahB!Lkn8iXBdyqsrRQ_wrUH90YLQ9JD4Y3-Qz03l7WhgrAI

    https://mega.nz/#!KF42lDaB!2mcSXW3ZBirxkHIwE0Qs_VdiI-BL4xzA_AyeHpeYXgo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible post!!! Many, many thanks for this superb offering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Womderful. Many thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Womderful. Many thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Happy dance all over my music room floor!!! Thanks a lot, Kingcake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The complete Count On The Coast!
    Only a dream until a few weeks ago. As far as I'm concerned, this is the release of the year.
    Even though I already downloaded it from my friends' TTMJ blog (thank you Francis!), big kudos
    for posting this marvel here. A real Basie essential, unmissable. One just wonders why Phontastic
    didn't release the whole package back in the day, they had only mentioned in the notes that
    there was a lot more...
    By the way, does anyone know who is the mysterious recording engineer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this listen KC! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful surprise! Thanks KC.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a treat. The Basie Band at the peak.
    A great addition to the Mosaic series. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a real treasure! Great sound quality to boot. Thanks so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I guess if I dont have a Mega account I can't download? I love the Basie Band I Have not been able able to download anything from your site in months its filled with crap that shuts my computer down, gotta go , I can't come back when your crap shuts my computer down yea I'm pissed!

    See you at Jazziest baby or Qtr Fest.... Too bad you gotta make it so funky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, now you have managed to piss ME off!! Are you really so dimwitted that you can't figure out how to navigate Mega or deal with whatever stupid program you have that makes that difficult? I chose the simplest vehicle I could find to make this available - if you are so computer ignorant that you can't solve you own computer issues then BYE BYE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea Im Stoopid... sorry I still listen to music on vinyl, and Yea I spent some nights with Fess, Earl King, Were you at Saturn Bar before K or after K?
    Bro Im Just Sayin I can't make your shit work ad I apologize cause you have the greatest blog in the nation and I MEAN That.

    I used to produce shows, it was so amazing-Charles Brown, Earll King, Joe Liggins, Pee Wee Crayton,etc so gracious and when the media I mean Recordings( Pathe marconi) Charles Brown Album I asked him to sign- he had never seen it and he said to me- Chris- here is another record I never knew I made... So with respect Fuck you.

    Fuck you
    Yea I Saw Longhair at Tips, I LOOK Brother for the last few years You shared a bunch of killer shit and yea Im an old dudeyou would DIG the 6,000 jazz albums in my basement so yea Im ignorant, I saw longhair at Tips 30 years ago,,, what is your blog Something about a fucking Crypt?
    Brother Im just sa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, KC thanks for this very nice gift and goodbye to crispy idiot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The mysterious sound engineer was Wally Heider, who recorded these sides as an
    early experiment of stereo recording in a live setting. Apparently, they were
    not intended for public release

    ReplyDelete
  16. For all of you Basie fans, this is a little unreleased gem from roughly
    the same period, with a very special guest!
    Check it out:
    http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/njVGLpCJ/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is truly epic. many thanks kc for your time, energy and impeccable musical taste.
    -peacenik

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boy this 58 Count is just the top of the line,man. I am glad you didn't give up on us . I also vote ( as if a vote would count) for this being the album of the year . What a great show ! I am barely started digging it and I am on my way out right now to listen while I drive. What is better ,more lasting , faster than a speeding bullet ,more powerful than a locomotive ,able to leap tall buildings with a single bound ,..than this ol' Basie Atomic Band ? Yea Man ,
    Zoot

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful post, KC. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I can't wait to wrap my ears around this lot
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear KC,
    Looking forward to this sound snapshot of history

    ReplyDelete
  22. great thanks; magnifical concerts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. KC this will be my entire Sunday... love ya brother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you KC for the fantastic share, got about all the neighborhood swingin' like crazy ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. P.S. - Thank you Chris, very nice of you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My dad took me to see Basie around ten years after this recording and it changed my life. Thank you for posting this band, one of his best imo.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Many thanks, much appreciated as ever.

    ReplyDelete