Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Gato Barbieri - Yesterdays (1974) [re-rip]

Fantastic slice of latin jazz. The album smokes from start to finish, with Gato in his prime as a sax player. Also featuring the great bass of Ron Carter and the fine drumming of Pretty Purdy. Check out "A John Coltrane Blues" and "Marnie". ~ jimslim11

Gato Barbieri wails his jazz-sax to some great latin rhythms. The title track is complex, driving, and joyous. Driving percussion, thumping bass. Brilliant playing. When they dive into Coltrane's "Village Blues" - (here called "A John Coltrane Blues), ya better strap on your seat belts. ~ phnuggle

Flying Dutchman, BDL 1-0550, 1974
Recorded in New York; 1974

Musicians:
Gato Barbieri - Tenor Saxophone
George Dalto - Piano
Ron Carter - Bass
Paul Metzke - Electric Guitar
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie - Drums
Babafemi - Congas
Raymond Mantilla - Timbales

Tracks:
A1. Yesterdays {Jerome Kern, Otto Harbach} (10:44)
A2. A John Coltrane Blues {John Coltrane} (8:19)
B1. Marnie {Bernard Herrmann, Peter Jason, Gloria Shayne} (7:08)
B2. Cariñoso {Pixinguinha} (10:53)

Total Time: 37:04

Credits:
Producer - Bob Thiele
Recording Engineer - Bob Simpson

12 comments:

  1. What a great post. Many thanks Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Chris. I had only heard his later "lite" albums and wasn't that impressed. But this one cooks!
    -peacenik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much exciting hard blowing from Gato. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris and KC Great sax trail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Chris and KC Great sax trail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chris. The audio sounds great. And I'm really enjoying the music. This is one I hadn't heard before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Between 1972 and 1976, I saw Gato play three times in small clubs in Boston. Prior to his switch to A & M, I love his music and he was one of my favorite saxophonists. I thought his Latin America series was phenomenal and have always wondered why many jazz blogs don't feature his recordings. Thanks so much for posting this and, if anyone wants to explore more of his music, I'd recommend Chapters 1 and 4 of his Latin America recordings as great places to start.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see records like this are not forgotten. Many thanks, roberto T.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic drop chris!...many thx man!............Zeke

    ReplyDelete