Saturday, October 17, 2015

Jerome Richardson - Roamin' With Richardson

As good as the previous album was, this one is even more interesting to me. At least in part I'd attribute that to the fact that there is only 1 flute track and the rest of the record features Richardson's considerable talents on tenor and baritone saxophones. This one is a quartet date  so there is plenty of space for Jerome to display his talents along with strong performances from Richard Wyands, George Tucker and Charlie Persip. The connection between Wyands and Red Garland has never been more evident to me than on this date - were I doing a blindfold test, I would surely have guessed it was Red.

Having already a lot of exposure to Richardson as a flutist and tenor player, it is the 3 tracks featuring his baritone work here that are really eye opening. I'm surprised he wasn't more in demand as a soloist on the big horn because his nimble and expressive solos here put him in a class with the likes of Sahib Shihab, Leo Parker and Pepper Adams; just killer! Perhaps the only flaw that I'd point out in the album is that they probably could have used a couple extra takes of the George Tucker's opening composition "Friar Tuck". It just doesn't seem to quite jell and were this a Blue Note session, for example, I think they would have tried it a couple more times to get it right.

Once again this is from the out of catalog Japanese CD issue which sells for ridiculous $ these days.

18 comments:

  1. http://www.embedupload.com/?d=8VNLNOISAR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I knew Midnight Oil, but had never heard of this. Looks great! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks one more KC ! Great Stuff ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find this is. Thanks so much KC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great surprise! Both of the LPs by Jerome Richardson (who? huh?) are excellent; a shame he's not better known. He sounds great on baritone too.
    Thanks KC,
    -peacenik

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, KC, a fine record from the man Eric Dolphy called "my secret influence". When I was a lad my father had a copy of the Savoy LP "Flutes & Reeds" (1955), which features JR (on tenor sax and flute) in tandem with Frank Wess, also Ernie Wilkins, Hank Jones, Eddie Jones and Kenny Clarke. Great record. Plus, there's "Jerome Richardson Goes to the Movies" (United Artists, 1962), which I found a copy of for $2 many years ago. Alas, I no longer own any vinyl and wondered if I could ever find it again. A couple of years ago I found it on some obscure blog as a Japanese CD. It's a live disc (sounds like maybe 10 people in the audience!) and features Richard Wyands, Les Spann, Henry Grimes and Grady Tate. Also worthwhile with the only drawback being that it's an Alan Douglas production, thus it barely runs 30 minutes.
    ~Nat Whilk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two excellent JR albums I didn't know. Thanks KC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was missing this one, many thanks KC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, thanks so much; Richardson is wonderful on baritone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks too much! Really Richardson is too much inspired on Warm Valley.

    ReplyDelete