Saturday, December 15, 2018

Shirley Scott - Shirley's Sounds (1958,60) [re-rip]

There's a good reason why Scott's second album as a bandleader sounds very much like her first, Great Scott!, for both albums were cut at the same May 23, 1958, session. On Shirley's Sounds, Scott's again backed by the rhythm section of George Duvivier on bass (though George Tucker takes over the instrument for one number, "Bye Bye Blackbird") and Arthur Edgehill on drums. Like its predecessor, it's superior early organ jazz, full-sounding but streamlined owing to the trio format. Devoted entirely to outside compositions, the tracks capture both her virtuosic skill on the organ and her taste, squeezing the bluesiest inflections out of a standard like "Summertime." "(Back Home Again In) Indiana" is the cut that cooks the hardest, and blues colors are a big part of her interpretations of "Baby Won't You Please Come Home" and "I Can't See for Lookin'." ~ by Richie Unterberger, AMG.

Prestige Records, PRLP 7195, 1961
Recorded 23rd May (#A1-A3,B1-B3); 23rd October (#B4), 1958 and
8th April (#A4), 1960 at Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey

Personnel:
Shirley Scott - Organ [Electric]
George Duvivier - Bass
George Tucker - Bass (#A4)
Arthur Edgehill - Drums

Track Listing:
A1. It Could Happen To You {Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen} (4:34)
A2. Summertime {George Gershwin, Dubose Heyward} (3:59)
A3. There Will Never Be Another You {Mack Gordon, Harry Warren} (3:22)
A4. Bye Bye Blackbird {Mort Dixon, Ray Henderson} (6:39)
B1. S'Posin' {Andy Razaf, Paul Denniker} (4:18)
B2. Baby Won't You Please Come Home {Charles Warfield, Clarence Williams} (4:03)
B3. [Back Home Again In] Indiana {Ballard MacDonald, James F. Hanley} (3:24)
B4. I Can't See For Lookin' {Dave Bartholomew} (4:12)

Credits:
Producer - Bob Weinstock
Recording Engineer - Rudy van Gelder
Liner Notes - Joe Goldberg

10 comments:

  1. Looking forward to some straight ahead B3 Thanks KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Chris. A very welcome upgrade to my mp3 @128 kbps copy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you as always my friend; much of my appreciation of Shirley has been in fact a result of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you , Chris. I agree with the King. I was not a fan or the organ until I heard Shirley Scott via your and the King's posts. I appreciate the broadening of my sometimes parochial taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks, Chris.
    A very welcome upgrade of my 128 Mp3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Chris, I've always loved organ combos and, being a bass thumper myself, I tend to enjoy them more when there's a real bass taking care of the bottom instead of the organ pedals (or left hand). In this case the great George Duvivier is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shirley Scott - Shirley's Sounds {FLAC} (1958,60)
    [244.4MB]
    https://mega.nz/#!vctxVaxB!FYdamgzVvjieN_hkecXlfKptRBnis-aGPrJLVqiWg7k
    ==================================================================================
    Shirley Scott - Shirley's Sounds {FLAC} (1958,60) Side A
    [127MB]
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/url5a9n9rlqq5zk/ShSc-58%252B60-SS-SA.rar/file

    Shirley Scott - Shirley's Sounds {FLAC} (1958,60) Side B
    [117MB]
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/b3izici8ni6vi10/ShSc-58%252B60-SS-SB.rar/file

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thank you's for this and for "Great Scott"

    ReplyDelete