I am a big fan of the 'conversational' aspect of Jazz; that point where the interaction of the players is clearly more than just a formula or a chart or (the worst) a prearranged simulatiuon. It is a level of the art most frequently exhibited in duo and trio settings where there is plenty of room for all. I think, perhaps, that we might do a whole little recurring segment for a bit on the art of duo, I'm leading off with this one and we will see how the guys respond (I haven't discussed it with anyone, just occured to me now). I've got other things in the cue right now, but this strikes me as a theme that we could visit regularly.
I have loved this album from the very first day I heard it some 30+ years ago. Beautiful and sensative playing from both pianist Walter Norris and bassist George Mraz are an unwavering constant throughout the set and the recording quality is exceptional....two thumbs and two big toes up!
I've seen at least 3 different covers for the album, this is the one that I first heard...over time 2 extra tracks have surfaced and those are included here as are the other covers.
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=23FJH0GDDN
ReplyDeleteThis gets my big toes perked up, KC. A new one on me, so looking forward to dropping some eaves on The Conversation. Thank'ee
ReplyDeleteThanks KC these ENJA sides are always well produced
ReplyDeleteKingcake, my 2009 mp3s total nine; so I'm hoping there's two new tracks on your post! Many thanks...
ReplyDeleteThe original LP had 8 tracks, cd had 9 and there are 10 here... an extra version of Drifting.
ReplyDeleteWell as far as interaction goes, my favorite of all ttime is Woody Shaw during his zenith in the 70's. There was an almost telepathic interaction happening in that quintet.
ReplyDeleteWell as far as interaction goes, my favorite of all ttime is Woody Shaw during his zenith in the 70's. There was an almost telepathic interaction happening in that quintet.
ReplyDeleteLooks good! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks, very nice album, indeed.
ReplyDeletethanks for the music and all the links
ReplyDeleteMany thanks, KC, for this complete issue
ReplyDeleteThank you very much. Tracks 1-7 are with George Mraz recorded at TRIXI-Studio, Munich on August 18, 1974. Tracks 8-10 are with Aladar Pege recorded live at the East-West Jazz Festival, Meistersingerhalle, Nürnberg; May 5, 1978. Not on this re-issue is "Maple Leaf Rag", track 8 on the original release. Two of the bonus tracks come from the album Synchronicity.
ReplyDeleteNice one, KC! Norris doesn't seem to get the attention he deserves.
ReplyDeleteThanks, too, to Prof. Yaffle for the helpful info.
Good stuff! Another fine jazz obscurity. Thanks KC.
ReplyDeletethis looks great. I also love this kind of intimate jazz
ReplyDelete