Originally posted at the old Crypt.
This was Blakey's first studio recording for four years, thank Heavens for the Japanese!
Many of the old warhorses surface here, what makes them special is the presence of Carlos Garnett, sadly his only recording with Blakey, and Joanne Brackeen, both virtually unknown at the time.
I've heard rumours that this had a CD reissue in Japan but I think you'd be lucky to find a copy!
"When I had Joanne Brackeen in the band, we were playing down South. This was in Georgia or somewhere. This guy came up and said, 'Hey, there, Mr. Blakey. You know you got a white gal in the band!' I said, 'No shit, I have to check it out. I thought I had a piano player!'"
- Art Blakey, Jazz Magazine, Winter 1979.
01 - Moanin'
02 - Blues March
03 - Whisper Not
04 - It's Only A Paper Moon
05 - What The World Needs Now Is Peace And Love
06 - Politely
07 - A Night In Tunisia
Bill Hardman (tp) Carlos Garnett (ts) Joanne Brackeen (p) Jan Arnet (b) Art Blakey (d)
Tokyo, Japan, February 19, 1970

https://1fichier.com/?6jq0aqzitg
ReplyDeletePlease do not share this on other blogs, forums or torrents, it's for your private enjoyment!
vinyl>flac + scans.
And I thought I owned every Blakey early recordings! NOT! Thank you so very much for this treasure trove, Grumpy.
ReplyDeleteGrumpy......Most kind of all.....What comes to me from the Crypt stays with me.....with the exceptions of those shares that I put (unknowingly) on my brothers music player to enhance his musical spectrum.....but even then all that garners is a quizzical look....not a re-share somewhere else. Thank all at the Crypt for all that you do. I know I don't say it enough.......
ReplyDeleteScott1669
thanks a lot!
ReplyDeleteArturo Bambino (as sometimes Blakey jokingly introduced himself) is probably my favorite drummer, I will listen to this right away...A zillion thanks, Grumpy. Gonna
ReplyDeletehave a field day tonight! :)
Really intriguing lineup. Thanks!
ReplyDelete