Saturday, April 11, 2015
Prestige 1957, pt. 1, 2 & 3
Part 3 added, this finishes the Prestige 1957 sessions.
What a difference a year makes! In 1957 there are easily twice as many recording sessions and albums as 1956 and 3 times the 1955 output. The 16 albums represented here only take us to about mid-April! Interestingly enough, this boom in output corresponds with the loss of major stars like Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Milt Jackson and Modern Jazz Quartet. The variety and different colors of post be-bop jazz are in full flower and you hear hints of things to come. For one thing, the vacuum left by those guys is filled by John Coltrane, Jackie McLean and Red Garland - all of them are going to the studio nearly every week that they are in New York.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
part 1
ReplyDeletehttp://www.embedupload.com/?d=7IAUUUFNVG
part 2
http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6TAROGEXIL
Nice mix, King. The 1950s Prestige sessions are my sweet spot.
ReplyDeleteVery hip.
ReplyDeleteCLASP
Very hip.
ReplyDeleteCLASP
KEEP THESE THINGS COMING!!
ReplyDeleteHow 'bout "The Complete Riverside Records Story"??
CLASP X 10
Thanks Deep - YOU liking it means alot! I got one more piece to 1957 then I'm thinking of looking at the same year thru the lens' of Riverside and then Blue Note - should be an interesting comparison,eh?
ReplyDeleteI concur...HOOOO.....raaah!!
ReplyDeleteI concur...HOOOO.....raaah!!
ReplyDeleteIs there any chance of putting these on the home page so we won't have to hit Older Posts to find them. They should be at our beck and call at all times.
ReplyDeleteI think an easier solution is already there - when you come into the blog, if you type kingcake into tht search window on the top they will sort to the top of the blog - also if you do a quick sign-up at mixcloud, you will have 24/7 access to them as streaming players from anywhere, there are restaurants and coffee shops already using them that way - there are nearly 100 now and if you look at my playlists section, I've connected them by genres and themes so you can skip what doesn't interest you much (I've got lots of blues, soul and gospel stuff there too) Also on the sidebar here at the Crypt there is a kingcake compilations tag that instantly sorts them to the top - anything you want a dl copy of, just ask.
ReplyDeleteI've been checking out all your mixclouds and love'em.
ReplyDeleteI tried to login to chat but can't do it. Wrong username or password or something. I requested it be reset through my email for a week now but nothing yet.
Any suggestions?
I looked around and didn't learn a thing because I've been in it with no issues for a year or so and I don't see what you are seeing - if you are still having issues, email me direct kingcake54@yahoo.com and we'll see if I can help
ReplyDeleteGreat Compilation!
ReplyDeletePrestige Sessions 1950s much appreciated and always welcome, KC
Part 3
ReplyDeletehttp://www.embedupload.com/?d=9IYFCSJJHF
HOOOO....RAAAH!
ReplyDeleteLOVE'M
CLASP!!
Funny I just finished DL'n the other two,... really lovin this series.
ReplyDeleteI love'm too but I would make one suggestion...try not to pick only blues form tunes.
ReplyDeleteI know that often times the best tunes at each of the sessions are on the blues but it would really break it up more if the tunes were more varied.
The first two on the Riverside are both blues...one slow...and one medium.
Still love'm though,.
CLASP!
Funny you should mention it - I had noticed the same thing and had just finished the Blue Note, vol 1 with that in mind BEFORE I saw this - thanks for the heads up tho....I often do these on a stream of consciousness that can get one dimensional if I'm not careful...or I am too stoned.
ReplyDelete1957 was very significant for me because that was when I discovered jazz.
ReplyDeleteI saved up money from a paper-route to buy my first LP - which was Mulligan meets Monk on Riverside.
I still know all the solos by heart - and my first successful adventure in vocalese was on the Mulligan-Monk "Round Midnight".
A perfect year to choose.