Thursday, November 20, 2014

Lou Donaldson - Fried Buzzard (1965)

In the light of Chris' recent posts I couldn't resist sharing this!

I've always felt that Donaldson's Argo/Chess recordings have been unjustly overlooked in favour of his Blue Notes. Now some of his 50s and early 60s Blue Notes are classics - Blues Walk, for example, but many of his later ones were pretty ordinary and the Argo are clearly better!
This particular LP benefits from the presence of the perpetually underrated Hardman. It's also interesting to hear the drummer in his pre-funk days.

01 - Fried Buzzard
02 - Summertime
03 - Peck Time
04 - The Thang
05 - The Best Things In Life Are Free
06 - We

Bill Hardman (t) Lou Donaldson (as) Billy Gardner (org) Warren Stephens (g) Leo Morris (d)
Live "Bon Ton Club", Buffalo, NY, August 6 & 7, 1965

8 comments:

  1. https://1fichier.com/?p4bcfan1zt

    EAC>flac + scans

    Comments are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. grumpy this is really good! Thanks so much for the trouble you go to when sharing this fine music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot Grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, sad to say that I overlooked this one more than once in the past. big mistake! this sounds divine, and the raw atmospheric live recording makes it even better. thank you for this, grumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Lou is always much appreciated, thanks Grumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Grumpy. I had this album years ago (I think it was a cutout for 99 cents) and loved it. Cant wait to hear it again

    ReplyDelete