A Japanese 1987 issue is the only CD I'm aware of, and I could never locate a copy, so I was very pleased to pick up this mint LP
Review by Scott Yanow:
Altoist Bud Shank celebrated his move to the Seattle area by utilizing two talented Seattle players (pianist Dave Peck and bassist Chuck Deardorf) plus drummer Jeff Hamilton for this fine live set. On a well-rounded program of originals, an obscurity and a couple of standards ("A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square" and "I Loves You Porgy"), Shank is in top form, really stretching himself on the frequently challenging material. A good example of Bud Shank's playing in the 1980s.
The liner notes are much more interesting than Scottie's review!
01 - A Nightingale Sang In Berkelet Square
02 - Seaflowers
03 - Too Long At The Fair
04 - Arion
05 - Song For Lady Lynn
06 - I Loves You, Porgy
07 - Wales
08 - Bud's Theme
Bud Shank (alto saxophone) Dave Peck (piano) Chuck Deardorf (bass) Jeff Hamilton (drums)
"Jazz Alley", Seattle, WA, October 16, 17 & 18, 1986
Contemporary LP C 14027

http://hhsxivtebn.1fichier.com/
ReplyDeletevinyl>flac 24/48 + scans including inserts.
If you download this how about leaving a comment, your responses make the effort worthwhile!
I never listened to Bud Shank until quite recently... and belatedly discovered that he's quite an impressive player. Thanks for this!
ReplyDeleteGrumpy, I've always enjoyed Bud Shank but have never seen this recording. I am very much looking forward to listening to it. Thank you very much!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Grumpy. I've decided that in future, if the music isn't moving me I'll turn it off. This one is staying on. I love Bud's gravelly edge. At least Yanow managed to write a review without the word 'quite' in it. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Grumpy. Very enjoyable & not at all like his 50's & 60's West Coast & Bossa Nova sound.
ReplyDeleteThanks Grumpy. I like these later Shanks.
ReplyDeletea nice show and well recorded. thanks very much for the share!
ReplyDelete-john
thanks a lot, Grumpy, much appreciated!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for posting this. A fine recording.
ReplyDeleteVery Nice! This album is new to me. I'm digging it. Thanks Grumpy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this Bud Shank recording. I've never found this one either.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely new to me, thanks a lot, Grumpy.
ReplyDeleteGran sesion.Bud tiene un sentido del ritmo unico
ReplyDeleteThanks for Shank!
ReplyDeletegrumpy, thanks for the effort i haven't heard much "late" bud,
ReplyDeletehe is always an interesting player. that mosaic box of early stuff is real good
i look forward to hearing this
robert