Saturday, March 8, 2014

Archie Shepp - Black Ballads & Blue Ballads

Hmmmm....we don't seem to have spent any time here exploring the giant talent of Archie Shepp and I am more than a little stunned to have just now noticed this. REALLY?

I think a little journey into the Impulse recordings of Shepp AND Pharoah Sanders may be in the near future......

These two albums are such a logical pairing that I couldn't resist posting them together.

My first experience of Shepp was in the Impulse era and at that time I dismissed him quickly due to foolish prejudices and uneducated ears. Today I hear Ike Quebec and Ben Webster all over even his wildest work.

These two albums feature 2 entirely different, yet equally awesome awesome quartets, each is a deeply sensitive conversation over familiar and beloved ground. If you do not have these PLEASE don't pass them by.


9 comments:

  1. http://www.embedupload.com/?d=2WGNQVMBRB-black_ballads.part1.rar
    http://www.embedupload.com/?d=93DBMUSQBJ-black_ballads.part2.rar
    http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6LMYWHIQCT-blue_ballads.part1.rar
    http://www.embedupload.com/?d=62YKMEK5I5-blue_ballads.part2.rar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Archie has recorded so many records and for me they range from outstanding to interesting. Regardless of the setting his playing is always impressive. I already have these but will be watching for future posts. I'm sure there are more gems to be heard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only learned to enjoy Professor Shepp (aside from Four for Trane) in the last few years. Almost everything I've heard recently has been very good. Thanks for these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks KC I'm a big fan of Shepp. He has always been a great ballad player.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i had black but not blue. thank you KC !

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks a lot; I'd not "blue ballads" in a good bitrate, so it's a beautiful blue day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An excellent brace of albums, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, in Archie's unique and unmistakeable way. Greatly appreciated, KC, and many thanks!

    ReplyDelete