Thursday, May 12, 2022

Albert Heath - Kwanza (The First), vinyl rip

Well folks...here we are again. Long time friends will recall that this was long one of my Holy Grail's from the Muse catalog. Once I had finally acquired what appeared to be a nice copy I was heartbroken to discover that side one was flawed with a fierce crackle or groove noise that I wasn't able to remove via software nor cleaning. Eventually I tried so many times to clean side 1 of this record that I likely caused new damage. My attempt to re-rip one last time yesterday was too just too flawed to work with, so I went back to my last, best rip and decided to see if the spectral denoising of Isotope RX4 Advanced could finally rid me of the flaw. It took some experimentation and a couple of junked tries, but I managed to sweep the vast majority of the noise away without messing with the music! The wonders of modern editing software!

So this is still the 16/48 rip from last year, but it is very clearly cleaner and a better listen. I recommend that you upgrade!

    Bass – Percy Heath
    Drums, Timpani [Tympani], Chimes – Albert Heath
    Electric Piano, Piano – Kenny Barron
    Flute, Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Jimmy Heath
    Guitar – Ted Dunbar
    Trombone – Curtis Fuller
 Recorded By – Paul Goodman
    Liner Notes – Gary Giddins
    Producer – Don Schlitten, Design, Photography By – Don Schlitten



Preceding the Strata East 1975 release "Marchin' On" by two years, this could be considered the first Heath Brothers release. A lovely set of spiritual modal jazz that has that 70's feel I can't resist. All the compositions are originals, written either collectively or individually by the brothers; each one a new gem. For me this one is a classic of the genre.

47 comments:

  1. Thanks KC "Persistence Pays Off", I enjoyed the lossy version so this should be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, KC! Looking forward to give it a spin tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much appreciated, thanks KC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spinning this one now - sounds like it's gonna be KILLER. Many thanks, indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great album! Thanks ever so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful stuff. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, KC. A very welcome upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great sounding rip KC - a real pleasure listening to this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this upgrade!! Outstanding!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many thanks, KC. Always glad to hear unfamiliar Heaths!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great album ! Tootie knows how to shake that sound better than anyone. Many thanks, KC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a lot of work getting the sound right! Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I also learned a long time ago that the ear/mind "carries" noise, pops, clicks into the music. So I always silence or preferably fade in the beginning of songs. I used "Click Repair" for a long time as it was and still is touted by many to be the best without damaging the music when used judiciously. Then I found iZotope RX Advanced. It, simply put, blows away Click Repair. Capable of so much yet so simple. Thank you for the music.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your dedication and sharing KC. I sympathize completely. I don't have RX advanced, but I use another Izotope product (Ozone 5) for mastering. They seem to design really good software.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome KC. Many thanks! This was not even on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tootie Heath is one of the last living greats of that generation. Great lp! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm curious after reading this. So thanks,KC.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Has anyone who had the previous rip compared them?

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's some serious work you've put in there, KC. Much appreciated and a great LP. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you KingCake, this recording new to me. Thank you for your work of love and share.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have just compared the first part of track 1 and that was enough to demonstrate that your admirable determination has definitely paid of. On the first version I could hear background noise, light crackling, which seems far less noticeable on the new version if it's there at all. No, I've just listened again and I can't hear it at all. There might be a faint hiss but can't be sure about that. Big improvement. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I feel like a duty to honor your efforts ! Thank you again, mr KC

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful share, KC!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just got to this
    Lovely album KC ...and sounds great to me ...but a misspent youth in front of 100w Marshall stacks make me a an unreliable witness !
    And your gory details of esoteric vinylism got me hooked !
    Cheers Bro

    ReplyDelete
  26. KC: The audio quality is quite good. I think you did some fine work on the digital transfer. I am enjoying the music.

    Based on your good results I went over to the iZotope web site to see about buying a copy of iZotope RX Advanced. I was stunned to see the software priced at US $1199. You have demonstrated that it does a somewhat better job than ClickRepair. But ClickRepair is priced at US $36 and does a very acceptable job in most situations. For the time being I'm sticking with my paid-for copy of ClickRepair.

    In any event, thank you for the Kwanza album. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. After a further 2 listens... just love this album !
    Additional Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the backstory, KC, and glad to see there are people even more sensitive and picky - not to say anal - than I !! As for record restoration programmes, I'm still using a primitive early edition of Magix Audio Lab I bought for £15 back in 2003. Works fine except for some buzzes and noises....too much noise reduction and it sounds like you're listening underwater! Keep up the good work....I'll let you get crazy over such details and just download your fine results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. the links are all expired, is it possible to repost then?
    TIA
    coolbreeze

    ReplyDelete
  30. http://www.embedupload.com/?d=6NSQBBAXMX-Kwanza (The First) - 1974.rar

    ReplyDelete
  31. I compared a few selections from both rips. Nice! Quite a reduction in groove noise. Makes it much more fun when you don't have to "fight" the vinyl so much, doesn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm impressed by your commitment in this matter. huge thanks, Mr;.P.C.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks KC - I just had to try this one after all these positive comments.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for posting. Sendmyway works. Many of the others don't.

    ReplyDelete
  35. KC you're very kind !....Big THX for the re post of this GEM !....

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yep, coming back for second helpings of this fine album. Huge thumbs up for your persistence with the vinyl ripping!

    ReplyDelete
  37. can you re-upload again please ??
    as i just found your amazing blog

    ReplyDelete
  38. NEW LINK:

    https://1fichier.com/?vxx32ss3tfmkp9j7l5tr

    All thanks to KingCake for his wonderful vinyl rip!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for your persistence. KingCake. I can't wait to hear the new rip.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I haven't been around in awhile but a few years ago your previous site really offered me a foundation in jazz history and culture and it helped better my life. I want to thank you and I'll be back around!

    ReplyDelete