Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Joe Farrell Quartet - Someday


My first attempt at ripping this record was filled with a wicked hiss that eventually lead to a second attempt using a cleaning tool that damaged the rip sonically. This time it hasn't been touched and it played clean...better late than never.

The Joe Farrell Quartet - Someday
Real Time Records March 1982 
Joe Farrell (reeds), George Cables (piano), Tony Dumas (bass) and John Dentz (drums).
Tracks: Fun For One; Blue And Boogie; Around Midnight; Epistrophy; Come Rain Or Come Shine; You Stepped Out Of A Dream; Someday My Prince Will Come; On Green Dolphin Street
I had never seen nor heard of this excellent Joe Farrell date until the day I bought it.This record is of impressive quality, heavy cover and vinyl like an expensive Japanese pressing and when I first played it the music positively leaped out of the speakers at me! I hope I've done a good enough job on the transfer that you get a similar experience.

Joe and George had played together a lot both on record and in clubs by the time this was made and it really shows in the relaxed feel of this session which plays like a club date with tracks where Joe lays out and the trio plays punctuating the set. You almost want to look over your shoulder to see if Joe is at the bar during the trio portions. Farrell was all about no nonsense hard bop by this time in his career, the experiments with funk receding in the rear view mirror.

14 comments:

  1. The other one is "darn that dream" (Realtime) and the sound quality isn't bad at all; at least the cd I own ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Pepper/Farrell "Darn That Dream on vinyl (the CD omits 2 tracks).

    I'm away 'til mid October. Will sort out and post on my return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi grumpy

    there seems to be some confusion about "darn that dream"
    the original - cd but also vinyl - RealTime Records – RT-309 has six tracks.
    "darn that dream" from Drive Archive has eight tracks, but is a compilation of the two (someday & darn that dream)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah - all is clear. I hace the compilation CD version on my hard disc and the LP of the original.
    Thanks anon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the Mediafire links working for you all? I keep getting "fatal error".

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I see. You have to do them off the Mediafire page, not in JDownloader

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I guess I am too late (01/05/13), but it seems the Mediafire links are no longer working ("Invalid or deleted file")? That would be too bad, since I have not been aware of this Joe Farrell album, but love his "Darn that dream"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://www.embedupload.com/?d=5ZKJD2IJFZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this, it's new to me and Joe Farrell never disappoints. Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the post.

    Joe Farrell was a monster at a time when jazz was minting very few monsters.
    He and Eddie Daniels were quite a tenor section for the Thad Jones / Mel Lewis band when I first started going to the Vanguard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete