Sunday, September 1, 2013

Mike Nock - Dark & Curious 1990

Back a few years ago when 'bluebird' sent this one to me, he mentioned that the album title was quite appropriate and he is right, this album is a bit dark and curious. This album too seems to have been primarily a New Zealand / Australia release although I saw at least one suggestion that it may have seen a quick Naxos reissue that received some wider distribution. The other members of this quartet are all guys from NZ or Australia and it sounds like this was a working quartet; at least two of these guys show up on later Naxos releases. The reed man Tim Hopkins seems to come out of the generation of guys who are heavily influenced by Michael Brecker. If I heard this blind I would have guessed it was Brecker. I've grown more and more fond of this with each listening. If you are also taken by this one, then I would suggest getting a copy of Ozboppin', a more recent Naxos release that also features Hopkins. Thanks to 'bluebird' for another fine rarity!

5 comments:

  1. http://www.embedupload.com/?d=0TBLSTQNCZ-1990_dark___curious2.rar
    http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1LKGCGGCMQ-1990_dark___curious1.rar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Among other wonderful jazz musicians, this blog introduced me to Mike Nock. I grow more thankful and appreciative with every post. Thanks for your work in keeping this all going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to Bluebird.
    Anything Nock is guaranteed worthy for me.
    This one is a fine addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really looking forward to this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete