
I've been listening to some Chico Freeman of late and I thought I'd resurrect this from the old Crypt. Although I prefer the contemporary Enja live recording 'Music From The Source', the calmer, more reflective music on offer here has much to recommend it. It was at one time available on CD, if you would like to own a copy, the last time I checked there was one available on Amazon for $480+...
Review by Scott Yanow:
Bassist Cecil McBee and Chico Freeman (who triples on tenor, soprano and flute) teamed up many times during the late 1970s and '80s. Their collaborations found them playing music that was a spiritual extension on hard bop, adventurous while moving forward. On this LP, they perform five of McBee's originals in a sextet that also includes trumpeter Joe Gardner, the percussive pianist Don Pullen (a major asset to the date), drummer Allen Nelson and percussionist Don Moye. The often melodic but unpredictable music definitely holds one's interest.
01 - Alternate Spaces
02 - Consequence
03 - Come Sunrise
04 - Sorta, Kinda Blue
05 - Expression
email for links:
ReplyDeletegrumpywon(a)gmail.com
Thanks for this, Grumpy. I remember seeing this in the racks back in the day, but the $$ only went so far!! Kind of like the present...
ReplyDeleteWhoa, can't wait to hear this. Sounds pretty amazing.
ReplyDeleteThis is just great. One of those fantastic India Navigation releases. What a great label it was! Cecil McBee! One of my favorite bassists. Such a unique tone. This music takes me way back, contemplative and exploratory at the same time. Thanks Grumpy!
ReplyDeleteLooks like fine music.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Grumpy! Beautiful, creative music; a session for deep listening.
ReplyDeleteCan hardly wait to take in this lineup--thanks, Grumpy-san!!
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Grumpy. Eactly the kind of release that deserves wider attention
ReplyDeletea thought-provoking listen - thanks very much for this!
ReplyDelete