Dave Burns is another one of those top flight players who was consistently overlooked by listeners, and grossly under recorded by the labels. Probably his biggest, and best known date, was on Art Taylor's Blue Note, A.T.'s Delight. Burns played as a member of the Al Grey/Billy Mitchell sextet and cut a couple albums on the Argo imprint with that group. This outing is essentially a septet, but the core members are the same as the Grey/Mitchell group.
Although Mitchell and Grey make their presence
known on this side, there's no doubt it's under DB's leadership. He gets most of the shine as far as solo's are concerned, and two of his own compositions are used. Aside from this album, Burns cut another for Vanguard which makes this the follow up. There's no doubt in my mind that this is the best session to get to know Burns as an artist.
That said, this group was well experienced and at this point, ultra tight. All the players are at the top of their game and it"s evidenced in the loose and creative solos. Billy Mitchell in particular is a wild man, playing behind and on top of the beat, inside and outside...he's absolutely inspired.
This LP is absolute mint and of the highest fidelity. It's never seen a CD reissue. Ripped at 24/44.1 wav and dithered to 16/44.1 FLAC, you guys are sure to be entertained to the utmost. Enjoy!!!
Vanguard (VRS-9143)
1964
Dave Burns (tp); Al Grey (tb); Billy Mitchell (ts); Herman Wright (bass fiddle);
Harold Mabern (p); Bobby Hutcherson (vh); Otis Finch (d); *Willie Corea (tymboli)
* on Richie's Dilemma and Rigor Mortez only
1. Day By Day 2. Now Ain't It 3. I Can't Give You Anything But Love
4. Richie's Dilemma 5. Slippers 6. Warm Up 7. My Romance 8. Rigor Mortez
https://rapidshare.com/files/2642798845/DB-WU.part1.rar
ReplyDeletehttps://rapidshare.com/files/648683424/DB-WU.part2.rar
Thanks Poppachubby looks really interesting this one.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fine share....what names!
ReplyDeleteI had the pleasure of downloading this album that last time from you. Good album.
ReplyDeleteThe album is included in a Bobby Hurcherson album called "The Al Grey & Dave Burns Sessions" released on Lonehill Jazz. It's also at the moment available as a digital download from iTunes & Amazon.
I prefer your rip, it's marvelous!
Thank you jbl, I'm glad you enjoyed it. However this album wasn't included on the Lonehill Jazz CD you are referring to. That CD was comprised of Al Grey sides from the Argo imprint. grumpy and I provided all of that music at the original Crypt, perhaps we can do it again.
ReplyDeletethank you very much
ReplyDeletemany thanks
ReplyDeleteThis is one of two released under his leadership on Vanguard.
ReplyDeleteI have them both (mint).
The first one "Dave Burns" is the better of the two. Herbie Morgan plays tenor on the first one.
I think that Burn's best recorded effort was on Johnny Griffin's "Studio Jazz Party".
DEEP CLASP!!
thank you, Poppa!
ReplyDeletei don't know any dave burns album as a leader, eager to hear this line-up!
Thanks, poppachubby! I think this is the first of your rips that I have burnt and listened to on my stereo system, and I must say that I think you got a very good and natural sound out of it.
ReplyDeleteAs for the music, I think this is a very successful album, probably one of the best jazz albums never to be on CD. Willie Bobo adds excitement to the two tracks on which he participates, and I particularly like the infectious closer "Rigor Mortez". We also get an early glimpse of Bobby Hutcherson, before his Blue Note career started. Burns himself goes back to the 40s and sounds here to me as a mixture between the modernists and Harry Edison.
Vanguard's 60s venture into modern jazz was shortlived and only yielded three albums. Amazingly Burns is on all three, two under his own name and one by drummer Bill English.