Monday, September 24, 2012

Melvin Sparks, James Singleton and Johnny Vidacovich Live at The Howling Wolf, N.O.

 I don't recall where or when I got this but I listened to it the other night and I was impressed at how well these three meshed on this date. They really did a fine job of capturing the almost magical communication Johnny and Jim have and the remarkable way in which they can make almost any third guy sound like he has been part of the band for years. Melvin was the visitor here but the opener, Freddie Hubbard's First Light, sounds like they have been playing it together for years. A really nice set and a chance to hear Melvin not long before his death.



14 comments:

  1. http://www.embedupload.com/?d=1WFMZPEGCS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the chance to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks KC for this enjoyable funky... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. did it come from archive.org? maybe not, can't see it there plus is maybe newer. still, a good few Melvin Sparks sessions over there too...

    http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3AMelvinSparksBand&sort=-date

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice. As much as I love a good loud B3, it's cool to hear Melvin in a more stripped down setting. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's from the archive..just search under johnny instead of melvin

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..next you guys need to go to bt.etree.org and get the torrent of skerik's badalabra soundboard/matrix from kentucky..this band is playing some top shelf modern jazz!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ..and they both do trane's equinox pretty well, albeit differently..trane's b day last sunday

    ReplyDelete
  9. and while i'm on a roll, go to kennedy-williams.net. he's a top shelf taper w/ all the ins and has posted some great shows. bobby previte miles tribs, wayne horvitz in too many fashions (think grateful dead trib) and skerik (like last nite) along w/ many fine local seattle bands

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward - R.I.P. Melvin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. track 4 Equinox
    track 6 Cherokee

    does anyone know the title for track 3 - i guess that quote is not enough to call it Mr. PC

    great recording!
    coolbreeze

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the track ID's - whatever that very familiar head is on track three, it is not MR P.C. for sure but it is super familiar and I suspect we will all be slapping our foreheads when someone figures it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent, for a change.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete