Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dewey Redman Quartet - Look For The Black Star (1966)

I have always been a great admirer of Dewey Redman, but this album has eluded me for some time until recently when I was able to borrow a well preserved vinyl copy. Essentially it is an album that clearly showcases Redman’s blossoming talents as great exponent of the saxophone and his ability to write some wonderful scores. Although many will find the album leaning towards Free Jazz it still has elements of Hard Bop that astound. This quartet is truly a very unique experience. Jym Young accompanies Dewey marvelously and the rhythm section comprising of Donald Garrett and Eddie Moore clearly compliment Redman’s transcending arpeggios. It’s a very engaging record. Enjoy!


Although always a bit under-recognized and overshadowed by his contemporaries, tenor-saxophonist Dewey Redman has long been one of the giants of the avant-garde and bop. This early recording finds Redman discovering his own individual voice on five of his frequently emotional originals. Assisted by pianist Jym Young, bassist Donald Raphael Garrett and drummer Eddie Moore, this San Francisco date is quite adventurous and holds one's interest throughout. ~ Scott Yanow, All Music Guide.

Fontana, 888 311, 1966
Recorded 1966 in San Francisco

Alternative cover Arista, AL 1011, 1975

Track Listing:
A1. Look For The Black Star (15:33)
A2. For Eldon (6:24)
B1. Spur Of The Moment (1:55)
B2. Seven And One (13:17)
B3. Of Love (7:51)
All Compositions by Dewey Redman

Personnel:
Dewey Redman - Tenor Saxophone
Jym Young - Piano
Donald Garrett - Bass, Clarinet (#B2)
Eddie Moore - Drums

Nice early set by Dewey, recorded in San Francisco in 1966 with a quartet that includes Jim Young on piano, Don Raphael Garrett on bass, and Eddie Moore on drums. Redman wrote all of the compositions, and the set's a great peek at his early talent before recording with Ornette. Tracks include "For Eldon", "Seven And One", and "Spur Of The Moment". © 1996-2012, Dusty Groove, Inc.

14 comments:

  1. You're teasing us! Sounds like a cool one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dewey Redman Quartet - Look For The Black Star (1966)
    Side A - [149MB]
    http://www.packupload.com/75C9K2BWLD0

    Dewey Redman Quartet - Look For The Black Star (1966)
    Side B - [120MB]
    http://www.packupload.com/KIUACMR0CW7

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Chris. I've not not heard this.
    I don't have a lot of Dewey Redman and what I've got doesn't make it into rotation all that frequently, but whenever it does I kick myself for not playing it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This music???....sounds like somebody strangling a moose. I love the concept that he composed all the songs(?). I wonder how many royalty checks Dewpoint received from Music Publishing Companies for all the other people who recorded his compositions(?). And to think that Rock and Roll players were accused of playing three chord songs.
    Jazz was supposedly based on the dance. If the Dewster were to have played this material at the Savoy Ballroom he would have been taking his life in his hands. About halfway through I contemplated getting a sub to finish listening to it but, I struggled through it. It has now ruined what was going to be a nice day. I think I need a stiff drink to get the taste of the "searching in the attic" sound out of my head. Eddie Moore sounds like potatoes rolling out of a chute.
    This one is truly dreadful. Dewster should not have been allowed to play in public...and I doubt that he was often paid to do so. Strike that...he should never even been allowed to even practice. Thank God his son Joshua didn't take much from Dad.
    Is he in an insane asylum now?

    DEEP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone should listen to Dewey (excluding, perhaps, the previous Deep Anonymous poster). One of the "free jazz" greats... too bad Josh didn't take more from him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this. I always loved Redman's ability to play blues free of cliche. There's a ROIO of his quartet at Wilisau 1977 that is outstanding. And a lot of his best performances are on others' recordings. -MB

    ReplyDelete
  7. DEEP Anonymous above is the best example I have seen recently of why it is best that jazzers unite and comment only on the work that they enjoy. When one get's destructively critical like that someone will always be offended. By the way, Dewey has passed on and I am sure that his son misses him dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could download before from packupload, no problem, but for some unknown reason I'm entering some sort of loop now with no escape and no download???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Link still alive just checked, Free User must wait for all ads to load then click green download button. For more reliable service sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, I have a few Deweys from later in his career but it will be nice to check him out in an earlier setting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the album. I am a huge Dewey fan and have always loved him through all his styles....I really loved his work with Keith Jarret and his work with Old and New Dreams as well with Pat Metheny. I had this on vinyl back in the early 80's and sold every album I had at the advent of the CDP...what a fool I was. He was a great talent and to the poster "Anonymous" His son Joshua learn the art of avant-garde from his dad, but you would know this if you listened to Joshua's playing over the years....oh did you know Joshua made a few albums with his dad before he died? Yes he did...and if you can find those, they are already collectors albums.

    ReplyDelete