Friday, September 21, 2012

Ben Webster on Black Lion


This post is a combined effort between grumpy, Tom Ryan and myself.  For newer followers, Tom Ryan is a friend of ours with a deep collection, and an even bigger heart.  Most recently, we featured several of his Diz sides, so make sure to show him some love in the comments.

I can safely say that with all of these albums you would have a wonderful weekend of jazz.  Webster's time in Europe was possibly his most productive, turning out wonderful sides with some of the finest local players. 

Enjoy!!!





_________________________________________________________________________

Ben Webster - Duke's In Bed
Black Lion BLP 30137
     1965

Bass – Henrik Hartmann, Hugo Rasmussen, Niels -     Henning Orsted Pederson
Drums – Alex Riel, Hans Nymand
Piano – Kenny Drew, Niels Jorgen Steen
Tenor Saxophone – Ben Webster, Ole Kongsted Trombone – John Darville
Trumpet – Arnved Meyer
 
1.  What's I'm Gotchere
2.  Close Your Eyes
3.  There's No Greater Love
4.  Brother John's Blues
5.  Stompy Jones
6.  Nancy, With The Laughing Face
7.  I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
8.  Duke's In Bed
 
____________________________________________________________________________

Ben Webster - Atmosphere For Lover's And Thieves
Black Lion Records BLP 30105
1965
 
Bass – Henrik Hartmann, Hugo Rasmussen, Niels -     Henning Orsted Pederson
Drums – Alex Riel, Hans Nymand
Piano – Kenny Drew, Niels Jorgen Steen
Tenor Saxophone – Ben Webster, Ole Kongsted Trombone – John Darville
Trumpet – Arnved Meyer

1. Blue Light
2. Stardust
3. What's New
                                                                                  4. Autumn Leaves
                                                                                  5. Easy To Love
                                                                                      6. My Romance
                                                                                      7. Yesterdays
                                                                                      8. Days Of Wine And Roses



_____________________________________________________________________________

Ben Webster and Bill Coleman - Swingin' In London
Black Lion 2460-128
1967 

Bass – Ron Rae
Drums – Lennie Hastings
Guitar – Jim Douglas
Piano – Fred Hunt
Tenor Saxophone – Ben Webster (tracks: A1, A3, B1, B3)
Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Bill Coleman (2) (tracks: A1 to A4, B2, B3)

1.  Bill Coleman   
2.  But Not For Me   
3.  Pound Horn    
4.  Sunday    
5.  For All We Know    
6.  Satin Doll    
7.  For Max    
___________________________________________________________________________

Ben Webster - Stormy Weather
Black Lion
1965

Ben Webster (ts)
Kenny Drew (p)
Niels-Henning Oersted Pedersen (b)
Alex Riel (d)

01 - Our Love is Here To Stay    06 - I Can't Get Started
02 - My Romance                       07 - The Theme
03 - Blues for Herluf                    08 - Friskin' The Frog
04 - Londonderry Air                  09 - Stormy Weather
05 - Mack The Knife                   10 - Teach Me Tonight
                                       
___________________________________________________________________________

Ben Webster - Gone With The Wind
Black Lion
1965

Ben Webster (ts)
Kenny Drew (p)
Niels-Henning Oersted Pedersen (b)
Alex Riel (d)

1. Perdido
2. Yesterdays
3. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down (And Write Myself A Letter)
4. Set Call
5. Sunday
6. That's All
7. Gone With the Wind
8. Over the Rainbow
9. Indiana
10. Misty
11. Set Call                                                                                                       

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful stuff. Many thanks, guys. Ben used to play Ronnie Scott's quite a bit in the 60s and this was indeed a great period for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, great music by one of the supreme masters. Thank you and forgive me for not thanking you for each and every download that I have made from the crypt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That download suposed to be with with Bill Coleman is not Ben Webster but Benny Carter ! It took some time, I'd better had been gone out for a nice beer !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you unterhosenspeck for the heads up, and sorry for the wasted bandwidth. I will have the link for "Swingin" posted within the hour...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Fellas posting all these wonderful sides together is a great way to feature an artist. I got Tom's and Poppa's before but Grumpy's additions are very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous post! Take a bow, guys.
    I've been missing Swingin' and Atmosphere. Thanks for filling the gap, poppa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Poppachubby, Tom Ryan and Grumpy. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had some of the Montmartre recordings, now they're complete. Wonderful. Thanks, gents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many Thanks Guys

    I already had a couple of these on disc but ended up d/l one from each of you that I didn't have
    Now having a relaxing Saturday working through these enjoyable albums
    Cheers Tom Poppa C and Grumpy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks fellas - I never owned all the late Ben stuff. But its nice to hear him with that trio at Monmartre. I had the orchestral stuff on lp but its been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tom Ryan:

    Dukes in Bed -

    https://rapidshare.com/files/1980747285/BWDIB.rar

    or

    http://www.mediafire.com/?hrvbw6bojyv21d5

    Poppachubby:

    Atmosphere For Lovers And Thieves -

    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bvt50b581h0kvdt

    w/Bill Coleman - Swingin In London

    http://www.mediafire.com/?5othhg4rgtc9mcz,tlbcbbwbolyxdo0


    Grumpy:

    Stormy Weather -

    https://rapidshare.com/files/3994428763/WebsterB-sw.part1.rar

    https://rapidshare.com/files/3138029752/WebsterB-sw.part2.rar

    Gone With The Wind -

    https://rapidshare.com/files/678309174/WebsterB-gwtw.part1.rar

    https://rapidshare.com/files/330462718/WebsterB-gwtw.part2.rar

    ReplyDelete