Tuesday, February 2, 2021

The Guitar Album (repost)

Apparently I have been ignoring a request to repost this for a long time... here ya go oldandintheway! 

I think I bought my first copy of this at 17 or 18 yeas old! I saw a clean copy of it a couple weeks ago and couldn't resist as I had never been satisfied with the rip of it that I had.

This Town Hall concert was similar in concept to one I saw in conjunction with Newport in NY. The double album open's with 3 Charlie Byrd tunes that are quite nice and three more from Joe Beck that are also pretty good. Sides B and C are absolute monsters, one whole side of Bucky Pizzarelli and George Barnes followed by one whole side of Tiny Grimes! Both are killer.

The final side begins with 3 nice tracks from Chuck Wayne. Chuck had just had a cast taken off of his arm the day before and was playing in some pain but it isn't evident in his playing. The final track of this set is sadly utter dreck! John McLaughlin and wife Eve do a version of Devotion that is just wretched! I don't know which is worse, the dreadful auto harp or the horrid vocals. A few years ago Ron (Jazzman) posted a rip in which he refused to even include this song but for what it is worth I choose to offer this complete.

Side 1

1. Introduction
2. It Don't Mean a Thing
3. You've Got A Friend
4. Jitterbug Waltz

 Charlie Byrd

5. All Blues

6. The Things We Did Last Summer
7. Down Under
 Joe Beck

Side 2

1. Blue Skies
2. Medlley Eleanor Rigby/Here There and Everywhere

3. Satin Doll
4. Rose Room

5. Theme From Love Story
6. Honeysuckle Rose
 Bucky Pizzarelli & George Barnes

Side 3

1. Frantic
2. Watermelon Man
3. Blues For Connie
4. Food For Thought
5. Three Quarter Moon
 Tiny Grimes

side 4

1. Softly As In A Morning Sunrise
2. What's New
3. All The Things You Are

 Chuck Wayne

4. Devotion

 Eve & John McLaughlin

17 comments:

  1. Thanks... a nice upgrade + last track!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I had this album years ago. Had to laugh when I read your comment re Devotion. I agree - while I admire you including it for the sake of completeness, its painful to endure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Have this LP and except for McLaughlin always enjoyed it. None of his "music ?" is for me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, that Mclaughlin track is crazy!!

    Tnanks for the rest though! Sold this some years ago

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, KC. In my experience, this kind of albums always include one or two songs which are out of tune. However, I think this time the last song stinks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Got this album when I was 16. My first introduction to many of these players. Hadn't thought about it in years....Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would anyone have a FLAC re-post of this show? I was there and have been searching for a digitized version for years.....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://www.mediafire.com/file/hr48wlujk9jqytu/The_Guitar_Album_-_The_Historic_Town_Hall_Concert.7z/file

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw-Right KingCake!....thanks a lot. I attended this concert....it was a benefit for Town Hall in July 1971 and covered a lot of ground between Tiny Grimes and John McLaughlin. It has never been released on CD so I appreciate the lossless vinyl conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks KC I had a few people ask me about this one, glad to see the re-up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thx a lot it's time to upgrade my tape

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete